LavaJoe Wrote:
> Hmm, OK, I just tried it.  I A/B'd the two over and over, and I never
> heard the distinct, if any, difference that I heard in your earlier
> examples.  In fact, there probably was no difference whatsoever, but
> you know how A/Bing goes.  :)
>
> I used faad2-2.0-0.lvn.5.4 to convert to WAV and compared this with my
> SB (both played alternately on my SB3).  I do not have faad installed
> on the Linux server that runs slimserver.  It must be builtin (?).  I'm
> currently using the nightly 6.2.1 - 5119.
>
> I'll try again on SoftSqueeze a little later.

Interesting - especially if you do not have faad installed on your
SlimServer. My understanding is that faad is required for decoding the
AAC file.

I have just uninstalled FAAD from my server, and after re-starting
slimserver I am unable to play any music through softsqueeze or
slimserver. The display says "PROBLEM: CANT OPEN FILE FOR:". This to me
proves FAAD is required (at least on my server) for playing AACs.

Perhaps you have a different AAC decoder installed?

Nick.

--
slimnick