CardinalFang Wrote:
> please be less aggressive over what is meant to be a friendly
> discussion. I was trying to debate the pros and cons of different
> methods of audio playback and you're trying to make me look stupid - I
> assure you I have a brain between my ears.
I'm sorry if I seem aggressive. If you re-read the postings I've made
in this thread, you'll see that I started out with a simple correction
of what I perceived as a misunderstanding on your part, in what I felt
was a neutral and non-aggressive manner.

I will admit to becoming increasingly exasperated that you seem unable
to grasp the points I've been trying to explain, and this is the reason
for the gradual decrease in politeness. I'm not trying to make you look
stupid - I'm trying to explain something, but do acknowledge that my
patience is getting a little thin. I'll try to be a little more civil
in future.

> My position didn't change, I believe a careful rip using a high quality
> drive is better than most CD players achieve when playing back the same
> CD for the reasons I stated - a CD player has limited time and computing
> power to restore damaged data.

This is certainly true, but only for genuinely damaged audio CDs with
(non-intentional) uncorrectable errors. In those cases you have a
better chance of retrieving a clean sample stream from it with a tool
like EAC, Plextools, etc.

However, I still get the feeling that you are labouring under the
mistaken impression that a data drive is able to do "better" error
correction than a CD player. Let's recap: if a CD is undamaged and
contains only C1 errors below the maximum allowed BLER (220/sec), then
an audio CD player will perform *perfect* error correction. Any that
fails to do so is malfunctioning.

I've never denied that ripping CDs to a hard disk is a superior method
of music delivery. All I ever did was point out one small error in your
original speculation. It was a friendly correction, but it escalated
from there because you refused to accept it.

> Try to lighten up, it's only a discussion board, and try to accept that
> the way we learn is by asking questions and debating things we're not
> sure about.
I'm really a pussycat, you know :-)

EDIT: Hey, since when did I become a "Senior Member"? I'm not *that*
old, you know!

--
cliveb