mwphoto Wrote:
> CardinalFang wrote:
>
> > Being able to easily change things isn't necessarily a good thing in
> > mature product.
> >

> That's where we disagree! :) While the product may be considered mature
> in some sense (it is feature rich, stable, and relatively few bugs) I
> believe it is a long way from the music server that people want.

Well we agree on the music server aspect at least!

I meant mature as in "been around for a while and generally working".
Perl doesn't really allow you to encapsulate the core stable parts from
further tinkering. Java does allow you to wrap features up into nice,
self contained functional blocks that can be black box tested and then
left well alone. That's my main gripe with Perl, it isn't a language
that enables that kind of unit construction of an app. In many ways,
SlimServer is an overgrown prototype. One which works, but I think is
creaking at the seams.

Still, enough lambasting of other people's products, it's very easy to
be negative and have hindsight. There has clearly been a great deal of
vision in this product and I love it.

Paul

--
CardinalFang