I found a window of opportunity to run a test using the SB3 phono
outputs. I know what I like so do not expect any flowery hi-fi
comments! For comparison purposes I used SB3 wall wart vs my PSU on
digital out and phono out. Then I compared the internal DAC's to my
external one. Phono cables were some Chord Silver Siren's. External DAC
was Audio Synthesis DAX Discrete connected by Chord digital cable.

First up was the SB3 supply with phono connection. Bit of a shock
having spent the last week listening to my current setup as the sound
was thin with lack of low end and a jarring sharp overall sound.
Sounded like a budget CD player. OK if I was in the next room but not
for me if I was sitting in front of the speakers.

Next I connected my PSU (for which I claim no design credit - off the
shelf RS item that had the right provenance) and there was indeed an
immediate improvement. Bass was back, separation was excellent, good
frequency range with no 'nails on glass' sound and I actually found
myself listening to the music and forgetting why I was there.
Remarkable change.

Finally I went with the new PSU and digital outs to the DAX. The sound
was better than the phonos but not $8,000 worth. For serious listening
(and bear in mind it is a legacy device used for CD) I doubt it could
be bettered and is the one I will stay with. Almost as good as my Theta
CD player (but way off vinyl, but that's another story!). Tried the SB3
supply just to remind myself and the sound dropped to somewhere around
the 'phono with my PSU' mark.

So in summary this particular PSU probably makes more of a difference
if you are using the internal DAC's. They are obviously well designed
and stand comparison to an external DAC. If you want to improve your
SB3 this is a worthwhile upgrade and more cost effective than buying an
external DAC.

Please bear in mind the same results may not apply to other makes of
PSU, just this Lambda unit. RS Components will supply overseas:
http://www.rs-export.com/cgi-bin/bv/home/Home.jsp?cacheID=gxnetscape

Regards

David

--