John,

> Do you mean 75 Ohm?

Yes.

> It seems that there are several manufacturers of "75 Ohm" RCA connectors
> (Canare, et al) who would be highly vulnerable to false advertising
> suits if their product did not meet their published specifications.

I don't know what they've published, but it is physically impossible,
given teh physical dimensions of the connector, for an RCA Phono to be
75ohms and be able to plug into an RCA phono socket, period.

Ask them for verified measurements as to the wideband impedance of the
connector, and see what they come back with ;)

> The closer an impedance anomaly is to the sender or receiver, the less
> effect it will have.

Why do you say that?

It represents an impedance discontinuty that will give rise to
reflections that are serious enough to impact the performance of SPDIF.
It's specific location is largely irrelevant here - a mismatch is a
mismatch is a mismatch.

>  I would expect at least the high-end units to use something else if the
> RCAs didn't work.

Well engineered units do, but the Sony/ Philips spec calls for RCA -
for a manufacturer to use something else makes it not compliant with
the SPDIF standard.

Most manufacturers don't even realise it's important and the mismatch
introduced by their SPDIF circuitry is so bad the RCA is just a factor
in the equation.

Dorkus,

> yes, i know they claim their "UltraLock" is completely immunte to input
> jitter, but that's what it is - a claim. if they showed spectral
> analysis of the jitter with varying input sources, that would lend it
> some credibility.

[image: http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/D-A%20JITTER%20TOL.gif]

The thing is this is just one spec the BM measures well on, who knows
what the audible effect of the ASRC circuit is?

Andy.

--
Andrew L. Weekes