For my grandmother I'd recommend a CD mini system. There's nothing
involving a squeezebox she'd have any chance with (that's not a dig at
SD, just a different market).

The T-Amp is great. I don't know what you consider "normal" speakers,
but I use it with some regular Mission bookshelves and it sounds great,
plenty loud enough for my home office (12ft x 16ft or so). I wouldn't
replace my Marantz in the living room with one, because it wouldn't
stand a chance against floorstanders, but for bedroom or bathroom use
I'd recommend it. Hey - it's $30 - what's to lose?

--
radish