eCo Wrote:
> Pat...normalization is apparently not the same in this software.  I've
> been assured there is no expansion or compression when it is used.
I am 99.99999% certain that Pat has not suggested that normalisation
will involve compression. He understands fully what the implications
are. The simple fact of the matter is that if you try to apply a linear
amplitude adjustment to a digital recording, then unless the adjustment
factor is an exact power of 2, you *will* incur some degree of rounding
error. This is nothing to do with compression: it is in principle
*impossible* for any software to perform normalisation that avoids
rounding errors.

That said, let's be pragmatic about the issue. The audibility of the
rounding errors that are introduced by normalisation is vanishingly
small compared to the much grosser effect of actually changing the
volume. I have over a decade of experience in digitising LPs, and I
would be very surprised to hear that anyone was able to successfully
ABX normalised v. unnormalised recordings of an LP (after level
matching, of course). Nobody should lose sleep over it: in practice,
normalisation is a benign operation.

--
cliveb