P Floding Wrote:
> I'm slightly suspicious of using headphones for evaluating recording
> fidelity.
In my experience, headphones are far more revealing than speakers
(except for stereo imaging). But I do acknowledge that my headphones
are hardly high-end.

P Floding Wrote:
> BTW, I read recently that LP's "dynamic range" (really: S/N ratio -which
> is not the same thing) varies with frequency. S/N above 3 kHz was around
> 90dB if I remember correctly!
I've seen the graphs that support this claim, and on the face of it
they make a valid point. But in practice, in over a decade of
digitising LPs I've never felt the need to worry about it. I record LPs
at 16 bit, 44.1khz, using an M-Audio AP2496, and the recordings sound
exactly the same as the original LP.

P Floding Wrote:
> P.S: some people claim "infinite" dynamic range for dithered CD, in
> which case LP too must have infinite dynamic range...
Anyone who claims "infinite" anything is deluding themselves. Infinity
is an abstract concept which does not exist in the real world.

--
cliveb