Actually, I imagine that an "audiophile" SB would be hugely profitable.
We shouldn't forget that profit margins in the high-end world are just
that -- high-end.

Imagine packaging the SB with a high-endish DAC, beefed up hardware,
metal case and remote, option of balanced outputs  and AES/EBU for the
digital output, etc., and pricing somewhere between $1,000-$1,500.
Then, compare that to what people are paying for custom power supplies,
various DAC and analog output mods, etc., on top of the price of a new
Squeezebox.

The killer product, I think, would be a Slim Devices receiver.
Basically, the SB, as above, packaged with an Icepower/Tripath/Whatever
amp, and an extra analog input or two an a digital out for those who
must experiment, and an f/x loop for equalizer/processors.  Now, sell
*that* for $1,500-$2,500.  Small, cute, reasonably priced, high-end
performance, and all you need.

You know a high-end company, like, say, McIntosh, would charge two or
three times as much.  Hell, they already do, and you don't even get the
amp and you do get a cheesy menu that requires a television.

--
highdudgeon