Skunk Wrote:
> Quoting P Floding <P.Floding.2532ez1143051302 (AT) no-mx (DOT)
> forums.slimdevices.com>:
> > Last time I checked hard disks had moving parts! ;-D
>
> I'm guessing the wink means you realize the disk isn't part of the
> timing chain.

I would have thought that in today's (one-box) CD-players the DAC's
clock dictates things, and data is read on demand off of the CD.
However, this is just an assumption.

Skunk Wrote:

> > Of course, there is absolutely nothing that have stopped the industry
>
> > from >doing this right all along, even with CD -they just haven't
> > most of the time.
>
> I would think Moore's law played a large role in buffering and
> reclocking audio data, as Jim noted.

OK, let me rephrase: The last 15 years there has not been any technical
reason not to do things right.

Skunk Wrote:

> > P.S: Using the SB with an external DAC reintroduces the exact same
> > old problem.
>
> Thus my infatuation with the internal DAC. If asynchronous transmission
>
> eliminates the catch 22 of having to seperate digital components for
> better isolation- while using less than ideal connections; an external
>
> DAC hanging off the SB seems rather Luddite in approach.

I run digital output into my TacT room correction and DAC. There are
many good reasons to keep source and processing separate, so a proper
standardized interface that allows the master clock to be right at the
DAC would have been nice.

--
P Floding