dwc Wrote:

> While I see the possibility of potentially less jitter with the onboard
> dac, I suggest to you that some folks may prefer the sound
> charateristics of specific dac chip types, and more importantly they
> may prefer the sound characteristics of their dac's analog section
> (i.e. that section after the dac chip).

I totally understand and appreciate your point. The professional mods
are expensive, and may or may not be voiced right for everyone.
External DAC's give one more potential place to roll for voice, whether
the change is quantifiably better in all systems, or not.

I was mostly waxing theoretical on starting from scratch; choosing your
input receiver and dac beforehand- ideally connecting them with I2S- and
implementing/not your own analog stage. A lot less, than more.  There's
as much opportunity for voicing that as there is with swapping external
DAC's, without needing the optical/coax connection. I only meant to say
the squeezebox is 95% of the way towards being 95% ideal.

Attention to the signal path inside, along with the external connectors
and PS, could probably get it to rival/beat your NOS DAC. OTOH, maybe
the NOS DAC is doing something in your system that would make a more
transparent digital signal seem less synergistic or more fatiguing.
Maybe I only think the SB sounds so damn good because it's compensating
for my (ashamed to say here) tube amp.

The path to audio nirvana is a short one. Most NOS DAC owners, I would
assume, agree.

--
Skunk