Phil Leigh Wrote:
> CliveB - do you have an error counter on your CD player?
I don't even have a CD player any more! (Sold it when it became clear
that the SB2 was a superior means of music playback).

It didn't have an error counter on it, but I have performed various
tests involving playing CDRs and recording the SPDIF output to hard
disk and then comparing the results with the WAV files ripped from CDs.
And those tests showed that the data stream emerging from the SPDIF
output was bit-identical to the original CD data. (The purpose of the
tests was to prove that it was possible to make perfect CDR copies of
CDs, but as a side-effect it also demonstrates that CDs (and CDRs) are
normally read without error.

In any case, I really shouldn't need to produce supporting evidence for
the error-free reading of CDs: that particular imaginary bogeyman was
put to bed a very long time ago. If you believe that CD players don't
routinely read CDs without error, then you're deluding yourself.

--
cliveb