cliveb Wrote:
> In any case, I really shouldn't need to produce supporting evidence for
> the error-free reading of CDs: that particular imaginary bogeyman was
> put to bed a very long time ago. If you believe that CD players don't
> routinely read CDs without error, then you're deluding yourself.

I don't disagree with this point. Assuming, the CD, itself, is
error-free, I'm not concerned about errors in reading. The main point
of contention here is the buffering issue. I simply do not agree with
you. For example, my non-oversampling DAC certainly doesn't have a
buffer, and there are many current cd players based on the same circuit
topology. To my knowledge, the Crystal receivers (CS8412 or CS8414 to
name two) do not buffer, nor do the DACs themselves (e.g. TDA154X,
PCM16XX, or AD18XX), and those chips are pretty ubiquitous. If I'm
wrong, I'd like to know what is the component that does the buffering?
Also, I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not trying to flame
you, Clive. I am genuinely curious about this, and have been led to
believe that jitter is only a problem because CDP's do not buffer and
re-clock the data.

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.