Yeah well my experience is very different in that case. I have (retail)
CD's that produce 1,000's of errors. I have CD's that are so sha*ged
that EAC won't rip them...and they sound like sh*t on ANY cdp...I mean
audible distortion of a foul nature - unlistenable.

Whilst I agree that it IS possible to make bit-perfect copies of CD 's
onto CDR / hard disk, I strongly disagree that reading of audio cd's by
CDP's (or CD/DVD rom drives) is always an error-free process. Why did
manufacturers STOP putting error displays on their "perfect"
CDP's?...it was not because there were no errors...

If this wasn't true, there would be no audible difference between any
CD transport. I don't believe that all transports are equal, and I also
believe that the EAC (or whatever)+hard disk+SB approach is empirically
better in this respect than any spinning disk transport which will NOT
repeatedly re-read sectors until it gets an error free read.

YMMV

--
Phil Leigh