mauidan Wrote:
> HD+SB maybe empirically better, but on the issue of sound
> quality, JA has already said the Ayre CDP sounds better than the SB
> with both connected to the same ML DAC:
>
> "Perhaps there was an increased sense of authority to the sound of the
> CD on the Ayre used as a transport, a better sense of extended low
> frequencies."
>
> In fairness to the SB, he had the Ayre connected with coax and
> the SB with Toslink. Hopefully during his testing, he'll try more
> combinations.

I think all that we can take from JA's opinion is that the SB3 and Ayre
are not significantly different, and considering the huge price
difference, that's saying something. Whether the Ayre actually sounds
better at all is clearly a matter of subjective opinion, and would
depend on the listener, room setup, etc.

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.