I remember seeing some information at AVS Forum that almost all receiver
/ pre/pro volume controls are digital because they are digital encoders
rather than variable resistors.  AFAIK the only pre/pro that has a
proper analog volume control is the Bryston SP 1.7, making it a true
analog bypass.  Far more audiophile preamps have analog volume
controls, mostly because they are strictly analog devices.

Consumer-level receivers like yours, Cephid (and mine, a Marantz
SR-8400) almost surely do not have true analog bypasses if this is the
case.  I tend to believe my volume control is an encoder because it has
no end-stop, it just rotates endlessly.  I'm not 100% sure but I believe
all variable resistors have a stop.

Since Dolby Pro-Logic IIx is a digital matrix decoder implemented in
the DSP, using it guarantees an A-D-A conversion chain.  If the
information regarding the volume control is accurate, you also have
that extra A-D conversion even in "direct" mode.

My results were identical to yours.  I found the analog outputs from
the SB to my receiver sounded muddy.  At first I thought it was just
overly warm, but no, it was downright muddy in the treble and the
vocals.  The digital output from the SB sounds much better.  Like you,
this was a head-scratcher.  My receiver's DACs, Crystal Logic CS4382,
are a bit worse but possibly comparable to the SB's DAC.  Still, the
difference should not have been that large.

I listened to the headphone output over headphones which was very warm
but without much of the muddiness, which led me to believe that the
muddiness was introduced by playing an analog signal in the receiver.
It's not a true comparison as I was using the low-cost SB headphone amp
though, but it was a bit enlightening.

--
Mark Lanctot