OK, something is quite weird here... *P Floding* just quoted a post by
*Mark Lanctot*, but I can't see Mark's original post in this thread!
Am I insane, or is there some setting on my forum preferences that is
preventing me from seeing Mark's post?

As for Mark's comment, that's a valid point... my receiver also has a
free-spinning volume knob.  But I don't know whether it's digital
volume or not.

I'm very glad Mark verified that the SB digital outputs do indeed sound
much better; at least I've got a guaranteed solution.

P Floding Wrote:
> Also some systems with different types of volume controls can provide
> analogue paths from input to output even though the volume control knob
> may be free-spinning.
If so, it's still possible that my "Direct" setting does actually
bypass the A->D conversion.  I haven't had time to play with this yet
but I will do so when I get a chance, and will post the results.  But,
given that my receiver is certainly a consumer one, I'm guessing they
went for the cheap option and simply made "Direct" turn off all effects
without actually changing the signal path, as Mark would suggest.  I'll
let you know once I play with it.

danial40 Wrote:
> Try connecting them both to your Amp via analog out using identical
> interconnects and do an A/B at the same volume levels.
Also a good idea... if the CD sounds equally muddy then that lends yet
more evidence that the extra A->D conversion in the receiver is causing
the problem.

I'll keep you posted...

--
cepheid