opaqueice Wrote:
> I couldn't agree more.  Although in the case of these power supplies I'd
> be happy if even one person could consistently tell the difference in a
> series of AB/XY blind tests...

Exactly.  The placebo effect is tremendous.  And, money does not buy
happiness.

A buddy of mine purchased a set of very expensive GamuT speakers --
very expensive. They were touted as wide dispersion speakers designed
for off-axis listening, which immediately put me on alert.  Anyway, I
helped set them up and, within minutes, we both agreed that they
sucked.  Gorgeous, overbuilt, insanely nice as furniture -- but just
awful.  Fortunately, this is a guy largely immune to the placebo
effect.

I mean, think seriously about this power supply business: people are
spending two, perhaps, now with the maui thing, thee times the cost of
a Squeezebox on a damned power supply.  Strangely, the stock power
supply works pretty well.  I bought an Elpac, just for curiosity, and
there was no difference.  Want a difference?  Use a really nice DAC and
maybe upgrade your speakers.

--
highdudgeon

SB3, Lavry DA10, Sony DVP 555es, Bel Canto Pre2, Carver Sunfire, Rane
DEQ60L, Harbeth Monitor 40s, ACI Force subs