The dynamic range of 16-bit recordings is 96 dB, which is readily
obtainable these days (that wasn't the case in the early 80's). The
dynamic range of 24-bit recordings is theoretically 144 dB! There are
probably very few, if any, "natural" recordings (i.e. not completely
synthesized) that have this dynamic range, and all but the most
expensive playback systems cannot reproduce this range. DVD took off
because even 50 year old t.v.'s could show a dramatic picture
improvement over VHS. The problem with SACD/DVD-A is that our stereos
can't readily take advantage of the new format (excluding
multi-channel, which hasn't really caught on for other reasons). These
hi-rez music formats were dead in the water ever since they were
initiated. I thank my lucky stars that I never spent big bucks
upgrading to these formats. Maybe they were right all along, "CD:
perfect sound forever." (Well, good enough sound forever.)

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.