seanadams Wrote:
> This is bad. For a hifi setup you should use an attentuator or preamp,
> for safety reasons if nothing else. The problem is you are taking a DAC
> with a decent SNR, and then only using a *TINY* fraction of its range
> down close to the noise floor. I can not stress enough how detrimental
> this will be to the sound quality!

Fair enough. After my last round of tests I can definitely appreciate
what you're saying.

The Paradigm Active/20 speakers can attenuate the input signal as it
enters their self-powered amps. It's already cutting the signal, but I
can drive it down a bit more while I drive the SB3 up. I'll have to see
if I can cut enough off the input at the Active/20s to achieve a low
enough listenable volume level while still leaving room for +/- volume
control on the SB3.

As for my temporary SB3 to AMP5 setup, I'm just out of luck since the
AMP5 has no input attenuation (this was just a temporary measure anyway
until my DAC is repaired). And it is an admittedly silly setup to begin
with.

seanadams Wrote:

> http://www.seanadams.com/1.gif
> http://www.seanadams.com/2.gif
>
> 1.gif is a full-scale sine wave, and 2.gif is the noise floor when
> nothing is playing (both plots are right-channel only). The peak you're
> hearing is at 8865 Hz and is at -120.70 dBr. The left channel is
> quieter, but still, 120dB down is very low **provided you have a
> reasonable signal level**.

Okay, so moral of the story is: there is some trace right-channel noise
but under recommended usage it shouldn't be an issue.

The headphone output though still seems problemmatic. Unless you have
an outboard headphone level attenuator you're stuck with a noisy
signal.

--
banzai