CardinalFang Wrote:

> What is the process by which a modern DAC samples the input? Does it go
> by voltage measurements at fixed intervals or is there an inbuilt
> "clocking" mechanism that causes the buffering of bits? Of course I
> shouldn't be so lazy and should go find out for myself!
> Paul

As I understand it, that rounding is the cause of jitter.  A (basic)
DAC uses rising or falling edges as a clock, but since as you say those
edges aren't very well defined that introduces errors.  If the DAC used
its own clock, since that will not be exactly in sync with the
transport's clock it will either fall behind or get ahead, causing
errors eventually as it starts to read the wrong bit.  Same problem
with a buffer, unless it's really really big I guess...

--
opaqueice