If audio is going to move to "stealth" systems with low box counts, I
assume we will be seeing speaker manufacturers starting to push the
active speaker concept.

There are a few out there at the moment but you are really into looking
at pro-audio offerings, many of which look a bit shitty.

I agree that it's not a volume market at the moment but that's simply
due to lack of knowledge.  Any novice who has come to my house and seen
my active speakers say they would definately use something similar (they
just didn't know they existed).  At the moment, some well known
manufacturers are offering cheap active systems for iPods, etc. and
nothing else.  Things have moved on now so surely they must have some
more high-end designs in the pipeline?

--
Andyoz