It's clear that a standard equalizer, which simply amplifies some
frequencies with respect to others, can't fix room nodes - the sound
level at a node is 0, which has the unique and amazing property that
you can multiply it by whatever you'd like and it's still 0.

I wonder, though, what would happen if you have two speakers and you
introduce a relative phase.  Then the situation becomes considerably
less clear, especially for frequencies where the distance between the
speakers is of order the wavelength.  One thing I noticed is that the
pattern of nodes (in that case) depends on speaker placement, which
implies that introducing a phase would move the nodes around.  Possibly
that could be used to move the nodes away from the listening position.

Anyone?

--
opaqueice