Yes - standard EQ can't do much about nulls...that's why we stopped
using graphics to "correct" studios years ago...

Michel is right. However, the theory and the practice diverge because
the theory assumes constant state and in practice (real music, real
rooms) things are bouncing around all over the place.

My TACT room curve mostly shows quite wide dips/peaks rather than
narrow "mode" effects.

However, analogue shelving, graphic and parametric EQ doesn't have the
same effect as RC. In fact they usually make things worse...

I'd be wary of assuming much similarity in practice between the
Behringer and the TACT...I'm not saying that a PC+software approach
can't emulate the TACT method though.

By the way, B&O have an RC system that ONLY works on the low
frequencies - it's alleged to be very effective. It's built in to their
top-end speakers.

I think you need to forget about the theory and just go for it.

--
Phil Leigh