sleepysurf Wrote:

> Now, this begs the question (for Sean I suppose), WHY does this work???
> It certainly sounds like there could be a permanent software fix for
> this issue.

So let me make sure I understand - this chime extender thing is a
microphone that sits by the doorbell and listens for the doorbell
chime, and when it hears it sends a signal to the remote unit (which
makes a sound).  You're saying if your music is playing certain notes
loudly enough, the chime extender thinks it's heard the doorbell and
goes off.  Is that right?

Now, the interesting part is that you say the difference between
analogue muted and un-muted is so big the extender triggers in one case
and not in the other.  But that means a really big difference, not
subtle at all - this doorbell extender is certainly a cheap microphone,
possibly in another room (?) from the speakers - if it can consistently
tell the difference I think SB has got a problem!

I suppose one hypothesis would be that the analogue un-muted introduces
lots of correlated jitter - so much that it amplifies those high notes
and triggers the doorbell.  Can you tell us approximately how many dB
of volume increase you need to set off the doorbell even with the
analogue volume muted?

Unfortunately I no longer have an external DAC, so I can't test this.
One check would be to record a sweep through a good measurement
microphone with analogue muted versus unmuted and look for differences.

--
opaqueice