opaqueice Wrote:
> So let me make sure I understand - this chime extender thing is a
> microphone that sits by the doorbell and listens for the doorbell
> chime, and when it hears it sends a signal to the remote unit (which
> makes a sound).  You're saying if your music is playing certain notes
> loudly enough, the chime extender thinks it's heard the doorbell and
> goes off.  Is that right?
We must keep in mind the possibility that we're being reeled in by a
prankster over this (in which case I applaud sleepysurf's mischief - we
can all do with some light relief around here).

But if we are to take what he says at face value, my reading is that
the extender is NOT a microphone-based device. He says it's wireless,
and I'd expect it to be RF rather than infrared (otherwise it would
only work in line-of-sight). If that is the case, then the implication
is that when the analogue output is not muted, the SB generates some
amount of RFI that triggers the extender, and this interference goes
away when the analogue output is muted.

That suggests to me that the SB's internal DAC is the source of the
RFI. Perhaps if the DAC receives just a stream of zeros, it doesn't
bother to do anything. Or maybe even the Squeezebox firmware switches
off the internal DAC when the analogue output is muted. Maybe Sean can
comment on this.

As for getting the extender triggered by turning up the level on the
Benchmark DAC1, then we can conclude that even this exalted device can
generate the necessary RFI if pushed far enough, so it's not as if the
SB's DAC is somehow deficient in this respect.

--
cliveb