I ordered the SB3 on Monday and received the package on Wednesday itself
(as I live in the Bay Area). I had earlier installed the Slim Server and
Softsqueeze and had the setup ready with some 10 or 15 CDs worth of
music on the harddrive. Thanks to this thread, I had disabled digital
and the secondary analog volume control. The tiny switching power
supply is plugged into a balanced power conditioner (BC MR1200) The SB3
setup was a breeze (only doubt was whether the WEP key as
case-sensitive, looks like it is not). With the SB3 in the middle rack,
I was getting drops. Then I put it on the topmost, next to my MMF5
turntable.
Initial impression was lack of HF extension - on further listening I
found I was getting more resolution, different drums sound differently,
there was more texture in the sound of flutes, guitar/piano has more
body. I switched between the glass toslink and the Zu Ash and could not
tell much difference.
Like any self-doubting audiophile worth his salt, I now doubt whether
the HF extension is really missing or I am just used tothe 'digital
edge' of a CD player (my Philips 963sa is supposed to have a 'clinical'
sound according to Steve at Empirical audio).
If I have to put it positively, the sound is non-edgy and almost
reminds me of my turntable sound. I also enjoy the convenience of
flipping thru my itunes playlist and listening to whatever I like,
whereas otherwise I would be lazy to get up go and find a CD and play
it.
Still I can't seem to help doubt the SB3. Can somebody help me with
some impressions/descriptions of the sound of the SB3 ?

--
SoftwireEngineer