P Floding wrote:
ezkcdude Wrote:
Really? I didn't know this was a proven fact. My bad.

Perhaps I overstated the case, but the fact remains that it is hard to
believe that more jitter will sound better.

Just a little, perhaps.

There are thresholds of inaudibility for any of a number of criteria.

The question is neither 'is less jitter better?' nor 'Systems have to be X good to see the obvious difference, is your that good?'.

The question is engineering. What level is bad? or perhaps
"what level is bad enough to be important and audible
and in need of correction, in an otherwise well matched system of price about X?"

If you are playing on a boombox, a lot of jitter can be hidden
(along with THD, and other evils) without being important.
Played on a $5K system, what is important changes. And it
changes a little more on a $10K system and probably on a $50K
system. (I don't have much experience on the latter).

It is very easy "to believe" that numerically different amounts of jitter are irrelevant in listening to music. It is not easy to know what levels are relevant in the real world.

Its about the music.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html