> I don't understand the premise of your question.
> Take a signal that looks like 0, 2, 3
> then upsample it to 0,0,0,0, 2,2,2,2, 3,3,3,3 at four times the rate.
>
> How does this allow the DAC to do anything differently?

No, it interpolates. So you get something maybe like: 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2
and so on.

What you're talking about is oversampling - just another name for
upsampling, but usually used in reference to what modern DACs do
internally. It is fundamental to how they work and yes, the smaller
steps require less filtering (and yield better linearity, lower noise
etc).  The DAC in transporter oversamples by 128x, so a 44.1 signal is
actually converted to analogue at a sample rate of 5.6 MHz... a high
resolution indeed.

Now, what's stupid is taking 44.1 CD rips, resampling them to 96KHz and
then re-saving to disk, thinking you've "given it more breathing room"
or "opened up the high end" or whatever. It's total nonsense, exactly
like on CSI where they zoom in on a single pixel, click "ENHANCE" and
then read a license plate from a mile away. It don't work that way.

--
seanadams