seanadams;130863 Wrote:
> No, it interpolates. So you get something maybe like: 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2
> and so on.
>
> What you're talking about is oversampling - just another name for
> upsampling, but usually used in reference to what modern DACs do
> internally. It is fundamental to how they work and yes, the smaller
> steps require less filtering (and yield better linearity, lower noise
> etc).  The DAC in transporter oversamples by 128x, so a 44.1 signal is
> actually converted to analogue at a sample rate of 5.6 MHz... a high
> resolution indeed.
>
> Now, what's stupid is taking 44.1 CD rips, resampling them to 96KHz and
> then re-saving to disk, thinking you've "given it more breathing room"
> or "opened up the high end" or whatever. It's total nonsense, exactly
> like on CSI where they zoom in on a single pixel, click "ENHANCE" and
> then read a license plate from a mile away. It don't work that way.

I agree. The problem is, however, that a lot of audiophiles report all
sorts of differences depending on upsampling etc. My guess is that it
has to do with noise (HF) being downconverted in different ways
depending on the DACs operating frequency. It is just a hypothesis, but
would be interesting to investigate.

Another possibility is that it has to do with the jitter spectrum.

--
P Floding