PhilNYC;130998 Wrote:
> If you upsample from 44.1khz to 96khz, there are now 2.17687x more data
> points than in the original sample, and only one of those data points
> per second is identical to a single data point in the original sample.It
> makes no difference, you are still not inventing data.  I've spent
the best part of 25yrs designing equipment that sample rate converts,
filters and interpolates so I know a little about it!

PhilNYC;130998 Wrote:
> It's not the same at all.  FLAC is decompressed at play-time to the
> exact original data set from the original sample.  Upsampling increases
> the data set to 2.17687x the number of data points at a mathematical
> precision of 24-bits, and every one of those new data points is fed to
> the DAC for analog conversion.I didn't say it was the same I said it was akin
> - in that the flac file
doesn't contain all the original samples at the original precsion of
the wav file, but it does contains all the information never-the-less.
The sampled digital signal is a representation of what the signal was in
the analogue domain, and the mathematics define the limits of the
'accuracy' of that representation.  Interpolation, Upsampling and
Oversampling don't invent any data, they simply represent the digital
signal in another form.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk