Chapter 3 of Analog Device's "Data Conversion Handbook" (by Walt Kester)
discusses this:

Kester Wrote:

> The basic concept of an oversampling/interpolating DAC is shown in
> Figure 3.30. The Nbits
> of input data are received at a rate of fs. The digital interpolation
> filter is clocked at
> an oversampling frequency of Kfs, and inserts the extra data points.
> The effects on the
> output frequency spectrum are shown in Figure 3.30. In the Nyquist case
> (A), the
> requirements on the analog anti-imaging filter can be quite severe. By
> oversampling and
> interpolating, the requirements on the filter are greatly relaxed as
> shown in (B). Also,
> since the quantization noise is spread over a wider region with respect
> to the original
> signal bandwidth, an improvement in the signal-to-noise ratio is also
> achieved. By
> doubling the original sampling rate (K = 2), an improvement of 3 dB is
> obtained, and by
> making K = 4, an improvement of 6 dB is obtained. Early CD players took
> advantage of
> this, and generally carried the arithmetic in the digital filter to
> more than N-bits. Today,
> most DACs in CD players are sigma-delta types.

The take-home message is that you want to separate the "images" or
artifacts from the Nyquist-limited bandwidth. That way, you're
anti-imaging filter doesn't mess with the real data (as much). I have a
hardcopy version of this book, but it is also available online (for
free) as a series of "lecture" notes in PDF format. Very good reading
if you're interested in how modern (and ancient) DACs really work.

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.