cliveb;139216 Wrote:
> If a 16 bit stream is sent from Slimserver, I know that inside the
> Squeezebox it's widened to 24 bits, then the digital volume control is
> applied, and the result is fed to the 24 bit Burr-Brown internal DAC.
> So far so good, and since I currently use the SB's analogue output,
> that's all I've ever cared about.
>
> I'm now toying with the idea of an external DAC, and have a question.
> Does the signal that is sent to the SPDIF output retain the 24 bit word
> length, or is it dithered back down to 16 bits? I can't see any reason
> why it would be reverted to 16 bit, but just wanted to make sure.

AFAIK, the file is *not* converted to 24 bits, if the volume is at
100%. Otherwise, you're right. If you want to send *bit-perfect*
streams to the external DAC, make sure the volume is at 100%.

--
ezkcdude

DIY projects page:
http://www.cellandtissue.com/diy.html

System:
SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.