highdudgeon;139357 Wrote:
> I'm just curious -- if you're using digital attentuation, as I am
> (although very little), at what point would things degrade?  I just
> haven't noticed any problems at all.  Then again, I'm usually in the
> upper third of the progress bar.  (If my DAC had a remote, things would
> be different).
>
> Just curious. Crude, rough terms, subjective opinion, whatever.
Like you, I've not noticed any degradation using the digital volume
control.

But then, knowing how the arithmetic works, I wouldn't expect any
audible degradation in a normal listening situation. So of course it's
possible that, just as some audiophiles hear things which aren't there
when they expect them to be (we've all been there), I could be failing
to hear things which are there because I don't expect them to be (if
you get my drift).

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?