adamslim;142400 Wrote:

> It's all about how you feel, you can't really analyse (measure) it :)

I love music, that's where the emotion is, not in the boxes that sit at
the other end of the room. I don't want to measure the music, but I do
want to know that my stereo is an accurate reproducer of that music and
does not add to or subtract from it in any way.

Deviation from accurate reproduction can be measured. Listening tests
are really just confirmation of a design or a substitute for more
careful measurements. If a resistor sounds better in a audioo chain for
some reason, then there will be a measurable reason why. Audio is a
highly complex set of interactions, but design the test rig correctly
and you will be able to measure it. We wouldn't get much science done
if we followed the same lines of thought as sometimes gets voiced by
professional reviewers. I remember when reviews were accompanied by
actual measurements and they backed up what was heard.

We wouldn't apply this to any other field of engineering to do with our
senses, why audio? I don't read about cameras having immeasurable or
mystical properties and they convey just as much information and
emotion.

Paul

--
CardinalFang

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever...