Pat Farrell;143852 Wrote:
> P Floding wrote:
> > There is probably no system today, and certainly not in anyone's
> home,
> > that can really fool us into believing that the we are at the
> recording
> > venue.
>
> While I tend to agree with the literal comment here, I don't agree that
>
> this is an admirable goal.
>
> Probably because I've spent too much time inside recording studios.
>
> I don't want an accurate reproduction of the recording studio.
> It reminds me of the classic statement about not wanting to watch the
> making of either sausage or laws.
>
> Even if you are at the hall, Carnegie Hall, Kennedy Center, Filmore
> East, etc. while they are making a recording -- what you hear there is
> impossible to reproduce. Any site with a crowd of more than 20 or so
> customers has a sound reproduction/reinforcement/enhancement system.
> And
> what you hear in one seat is not what someone hears 10 feet away.
>
> I tend to agree with The Absolute Sound's definition when the type of
> music fits: the sound of real acoustic instruments in real space.
>
> But most music doesn't fit those restrictions. The sound of an electric
>
> guitar is the sound of the guitar and its amp, which includes the
> distortion of the amp's tubes, and how the speaker does not properly
> connect to the air.
>
> I have never heard a system, no matter how "hi fi" reproduce the sound
> of sitting one row in front of four trumpets playing big band jazz
> while
> I played my trombone. I've heard pretty good approximations, but never
> anything that sounds like it really sounds.
>
> I believe that you can not reproduce a symphonic orchestra in a room
> that will fit inside a house, unless it is far bigger than any house
> that I've ever been in.
>
> I have heard systems that can make it sound like a small group is in
> the
> room when playing bluegrass, or solo guitar, or a jazz trio. At least
> the point of a willing suspension of disbelief.
>
> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

"Believing" doesn't necessarily mean the presented sound has to be
exactly like some listening position IRL. Just that when you hear it
you don't know if you listen to a live performance ot a hifi.

BTW, my hifi sounds a lot better than most live electrified
performances... So lets add that is needs to be non-electrified
instruments.

--
P Floding