P Floding wrote:
There is probably no system today, and certainly not in anyone's home,
that can really fool us into believing that the we are at the recording
venue.

While I tend to agree with the literal comment here, I don't agree that this is an admirable goal.

Probably because I've spent too much time inside recording studios.

I don't want an accurate reproduction of the recording studio.
It reminds me of the classic statement about not wanting to watch the making of either sausage or laws.

Even if you are at the hall, Carnegie Hall, Kennedy Center, Filmore East, etc. while they are making a recording -- what you hear there is impossible to reproduce. Any site with a crowd of more than 20 or so customers has a sound reproduction/reinforcement/enhancement system. And what you hear in one seat is not what someone hears 10 feet away.

I tend to agree with The Absolute Sound's definition when the type of music fits: the sound of real acoustic instruments in real space.

But most music doesn't fit those restrictions. The sound of an electric guitar is the sound of the guitar and its amp, which includes the distortion of the amp's tubes, and how the speaker does not properly connect to the air.

I have never heard a system, no matter how "hi fi" reproduce the sound of sitting one row in front of four trumpets playing big band jazz while I played my trombone. I've heard pretty good approximations, but never anything that sounds like it really sounds.

I believe that you can not reproduce a symphonic orchestra in a room that will fit inside a house, unless it is far bigger than any house that I've ever been in.

I have heard systems that can make it sound like a small group is in the room when playing bluegrass, or solo guitar, or a jazz trio. At least to the point of a willing suspension of disbelief.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html