SoftwireEngineer;147033 Wrote:
> With due respect to Clive (and Sean) - I am not sure I agree that this
> article is hogwash. It requires lot of engineering in a CD player to
> isolate it from the jitter or the time variance in arrival of the bits
> from the optical disk.
Well now, the act of buffering the data coming from the laser mechanism
and then clocking it out does indeed isolate the downstream parts from
the vagaries of reading the disc (that's what a buffer does, after
all), unless something in the act of reading the disc can affect the
clock that's used to read the data out of the buffer. Which brings us
nicely on to...

SoftwireEngineer;147033 Wrote:
> BTW, One of the engineering details I remember on how the laser servo
> affects jitter is thru the common power supply, more servo activity,
> more power supply variations, more jitter in the master clock.
I suspect you are referring to the study by Prism and DCA into the
possible audible differences between numerically-identical CDs. As far
as I am aware, this is the only study of its kind so far that was
conducted under proper scientific conditions. For anyone interested in
the gory details, the original paper is at
http://www.prismsound.com/m_r_downloads/cdinvest.pdf.

To briefly summarise: they found that there was a measurable effect on
the analogue outputs of one-box CD players due to interference from
motor & servo activity. This effect was not found in two-box players.
Moreover, they did not find any impact on jitter by the motor/servo
activity. All the evidence is that the motor/servo affects analogue
circuitry, but *not* jitter. Of course, what the actual mechanism for
any effect happens to be is not important to the listener: if the act
of reading a spinning optical disc can affect the sound, then perhaps a
no-moving-parts device like the SB is indeed an improvement.

Unfortunately, despite the measurable differences observed, when they
conducted a blind listening test, two highly respected (but unnamed)
listeners failed to correctly identify which disc was which. This seems
to suggest that the difference is very subtle and probably below the
threshold of audibility (except when you know what's playing, in which
case it is easy to hear the difference, of course :-).

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?