Pat Farrell;147127 Wrote:
> babi8987 wrote:
> > I did some research on the speaker brands that you suggested to me.
> > Based on what I read about these speaker brands, the sensitivity
> rating
> > for these other brands did not reach the numbers quoted by KLipsch.
> The
> > Klipsch models that I mentioned well exceeded 90db for their
> > sensitivity rating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a
> > relationship between the sensitivity rating and the clearity and
> > quality of the sound produced by the speaker? I was under the
> > impression that the higher the sensitivity number the more clear the
> > sound and the more of the ablilty to distinguish the variety of
> > different sounds.
>
> You're a bit wrong.
> Sensitivity is usually meant to mean how loudly a speaker will react to
>
> a specific load to the amp.
>
> "Highly sensitive" speakers, such as Lowthers, or original Klipschorns,
>
> are loud with very few watts of amplifier power.
>
> Speakers with low sensitivity, such as original 1970s vintage Advent
> Large speakers, take a lot of amplifier power to play equally loud.
>
> I forget the exact measurements, but the Large Advents really required
>
> an amplifier with at least 60 watts per channel, and were presenting a
>
> serious load to the amplifier there. They sounded better, much better,
>
> with a 400 watt amplifier.
>
> The original Klipschorns and Lowthers provide real world loudness with
>
> 10 watts or less of power.
>
> Now before folks get too wrapped up about it, I'm talking about
> realistically loud for natural settings, such as a jazz group or a
> bluegrass band, not AC/DC in a stadium.
>
> You also have to realize that a full orchestra playing FFF is really
> very loud in real terms, as is a 'big band' jazz group. It is not just
>
> rock and roll that is loud.
>
> It is much easier to design a speaker that sounds good if it is
> inefficient. And many great sounding speakers are inefficient in one
> way
> or the other (Quad ESLs are 'difficult' loads, even though they don't
> require all that many watts, they require a lot of current and have a
> wicked impedance curve.).
>
> There are good speakers that take very little power, and good speaker
> that take lots of power. There are good amplifiers that deliver lots of
>
> power and good amplifiers that deliver fairly small amounts. The 'flea
>
> power SET' tubes amps often cost a thousand dollars or more and provide
>
> 5 or 8 watts.
>
> This complexity is where a good retailer earns their fee.
> The key is to match the components against your budget and musical
> tastes. (and not just to suck your wallet flat as the cynics say).
>
> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

I understand better the way you have explained. My listening preference
is Jazz, some Blue Grass and Acoustic. I normally prefer to listen at
the low/middle end of the volume range. With that said, if I understand
it the way you explained it, thean a speaker with a higer sensitivity
setting would give me a clear distiguishable sound at the lower volume
levels. Thus the interest in the Klipsch line of speakers. The Klipsch
RSX-5 is rated at 95db. And the Klipsch RCX-4 is rated at 94db.

Do think that this info is in line whith your explanation?

Thnaks,
Steve

--
babi8987