SoftwireEngineer;147991 Wrote:
> Steve, in this case, the player should be immune to jitter because of CD
> surface/pressing quality, right ? (Assuming all else is perfect in the
> player viz. vibration, isolated power supply, etc)
> BTW, thanks for your time to sharing your knowledge with us. It surely
> helps lots of people here who have been considering modding, but really
> need to understand things better than thinking modding is replacing
> caps/diodes with better parts. For me, the D-day, would be when you
> open up a Squeezebox and tell us in under $500-700 you can improve the
> jitter performance to that of, say, an Oracle transport :-) (wishful
> thinking, but if it equals the transporter and saves me $400 or more
> that would be great).

It will be immune to the jitter effects from the disk if the data is
buffered in a memory at high-speed compared to the native read rate.
Then you only have to worry about jitter from power supply, power
delivery, transmission-line effects, ground-bounce, switching
thresholds and slow edge-rates.  There is still a lot that can add
jitter, even with a memory-driven system.

It's just a matter of time before someone sends me a SB and I mod it.
I would like to do an I2S interface on one, as well as the other power
and clock mods.

steve N.

--
audioengr