radish;148237 Wrote:
> They have no control over Slimserver, it's open source and they don't
> own it. Softsqueeze is also GPL, although the primary (only?) dev works
> for SD (now Logitech). But if for some reason they did stop development
> of it inhouse, there's nothing stopping someone else taking it and
> moving forward.

While that's true, the part that isn't open-source and critical for
interoperability is the firmware.

So, if Logitech takes the software in a direction we don't agree with,
we'll be left with the last version of the firmware that did what we
wanted it to do.  Logitech -could- change the firmware in such a way
that it locked out SlimServer in favor of whatever proprietary
direction they (thoretically) take the device and software.

I'm not saying that Logi-Slim would do this, but the possiblity of it
happening does exist.  Perhaps before that happens someone will have
reverse-engineered the firmware code ... but then that starts treading
on shakey legal ground.

--
jeffluckett