adamslim;148192 Wrote:
> I don't want to do SD down, but theirs is a new market, and there are
> several players who will enter it when it becomes more mainstream.
> They are probably making OK profits now, but they could easily collapse
> in the future to a large entrant with serious resources.
>
> <snip>
>
> Is $20m cheap?  If Arcam bring out a branded audiophile
> Transporter-beater in a year, and Sony a mass-market SB-beater, SD's
> margins will be slim indeed.  For $20m, with a risky future, I'd want
> them to be making $2-3m profit this year or I wouldn't even look at
> their business plan.  I don't know how many SBs are being sold, but I
> doubt their profits are much above that.
Sadly, I think that probably sums up why technology is being created
and made in the USA (and not in the UK) these days.

I don't think that SD or YouTube could ever have had the same success
had they been UK based, and there are no UK based Googles or Logitechs
to buy them either.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk