cliveb;149845 Wrote:

> They may have done some custom hardware, but that doesn't mean what the
> system achieves can't be done with commodity H/W. As for "database
> work", presumably that means they designed a suitable schema (just like
> the Slim Devices folks did). Nobody in their right mind would build
> their own proprietary DBMS for such a device.

Agreed, that was the point i was trying to make. I was not saying its a
bad product, just that i wanted to know exactly what was in that custom
box. To justify that cost, that would have to, for example, design and
build their own DAC, circuits etc for the money they are asking. But
that in itself would be a huge risk for a new product like this for the
high end market it's aimed at. i would be willing to bet money it's
based on an off the self Mini-ATX board.

As the Sooloos people are reading this thread as well, i have another
question...

How do you think the form factor is going to be received by people? And
what kind of remote does it have?

It's surely not going to fit into peoples HiFi setup in the way the
Transporter does, or even the SB3 for that matter?

Would that lovely touch screen display become somewhat redundant as
more people would not want to get up and use the screen, wherever it is
in the room, all the time? Personally speaking, when relaxing at home
with a glass of wine on the sofa, i will always want a remote
interface.

I'm sure it's a seriously great product. But to me personally, it's
more a proof of concept and im not sure they even know exactly which
segment of the market it's being aimed at.

--
autopilot

*SlimServer Version:* 6.5 - Windows XP.
*Amp:* Cambridge Audio 640a (living room) / Denon MD30 (bedroom).
*Speakers:* Mission 701's (living room) / Kef Cresta 1's (bedroom).
*Remote:* T-Mobile MDA Vario / Sony PSP / Cambridge Audio Explorer
(IR).
*Clients:* 1 Squeezebox3 + Softsqueeze.