I am stunned to hear any experienced audiophile say they doubt burn in.
Every time I buy a new component it is more than obvious. Perhaps the
effects are a form of phase distortion some peoples' brains decode
better than others..  The burn in process is not always the same, but I
often find the first few seconds sound very like it will sound when
burnt in (particularly cables), then it quickly deteriorates getting
thin and opaque with sucked out bass.  This improves slowly then
switches over to lush and even gorgeous sounding, if rolled off, yet
dynamically constrained.  Then it opens up and gains dynamics and bass
extension to settle into its burned in state.  Sometimes there are wee
detours along the way, but the process is often as I describe above.  I
think the main reason is dialectrics in cables and capacitors forming
slowly, but that is at best just an informed guess.  I have been able
to compare burnt in versions with burning in versions of otherwise
identical cables to confirm I am not mad on this - at least to my
satisfaction - don't care about anyone else's.  I am just stunned
anyone with decent ears and a decent system has not heard it with new
cables or equipment, when I have heard it so consistently.  I am not
doubting you have good systems and good ears, but I don't give any
credence to the suggestion it is placebo.  Perhaps it is that we are
not all susceptible to the phase distortions created during burn in.

--
Jenks