I guess in terms of the corrosive layer, I was thinking of this as a
much higher resistance layer than the underlying copper. So much so
that the current would preferentially flow in the low resistance
copper, than in the higher resistance outer layer, even given the skin
effect. Also, the gist of my response was more at the pure skin effect
argument. It's amazing though, even if it were possible to end the skin
effect debate once and for all, someone would always step up to the
plate & say, "All very well my boy, but you were discussing pure copper
cable, what about real life cable that has a variable thickness
corrosive layer".  Great stuff this audiophile business. The real
question is, does the drinking and savouring of 18 year old double
distilled malt whisky versus the common or garden 12 year old, make a
subtle difference to my perception of the sound?  It should make me
more mellow I'd assume.  Why else would I pay for expensive Scotch?  I
paid more, I think it's better, therefore it is better! I'll do some
tests this weekend & let you know. Cheers & have a good weekend.

--
chinablues