opaqueice;157798 Wrote:
> Having quite a few of both single malt scotches and skeptical friends, I
> was once the subject of a blind taste test.  My friend picked four
> scotches from my collection and then tested me to see if I could
> identify them blind.  I was 4/4, which considering she had randomly
> picked four out of about twenty isn't too bad.
>
> In my mind I can't help comparing that to John Atkinson failing to
> differentiate between - let alone identify - two supposedly very
> different amplifiers.  But I'm afraid I'm going to start another minor
> war if I go that way :-).

I suspect that many people couldn't identify the various scotches in
your test. Indeed, the same could be said for the tasting of fine
wines, if fact, many prefer a cheap sweet wine to the best dry
Cabernet's.

It follows that the appreciation of high end audio gear might be futile
for those whose ears might not be sensitive to the subtle nuances that
the best gear reveals. For example, not everyone can distinguish the
fine differences that are evident with tube rolling or changing
interconnects or etc.,etc. For many a boom box is all that is needed.

Raja

--
rajacat