adamslim;158056 Wrote:
> For more detailed advice, why not let us know:
Thanks Adam - what a helpful place this is. :)

adamslim;158056 Wrote:
> - What kind of music you like.
I started to type out a list, but it's everything (barring mindless pop
drivel). Electronic, rock, classical... a bit of everything. I like
solid bass, but appreciate detail and clarity as well.

We'd also like to use it for films, but quality of music is the
priority; surround sound and house-shaking bass are not important.

adamslim;158056 Wrote:
> - How big the room is and what constraints you have on speaker placement
> and size (i.e. wife, kids, etc!)
Have just gone round the front room with a tape measure:

[image: http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7052/frontroomak3.jpg]

I was thinking bookshelf speakers on stands. Neither door can be
blocked. The TV is currently sat on the concrete block (lined area top
right) - I realise this is far from ideal for speaker placement, so
maybe we should forget that for now and wait until we have a flatscreen
on a wall or a projector.

adamslim;158056 Wrote:
> - Whether you are sure you want to buy new, or willing to consider
> second-hand.
New. I don't think I want the hassle of worrying about how equipment
has been treated.

adamslim;158056 Wrote:
> - What systems really blew you away at the hi-fi show.  This is quite
> important - some systems are quite 'in-your-face', while some are much
> more laid back.  The ones that you felt were right will guide your
> purchases even if you are only spending a tenth as much as their value.
The only demonstrations that were set up properly for listening that I
can remember liking were Wilson benesch's Square series and Quad's
whopping great big speakers (ESL 2905 I think).

I did listen to a pair of what looked like the iQ5 from KEF, but they
didn't stand out as being special, probably mainly because of the
flatness of the music that was played.

adamslim;158056 Wrote:
> - What is your budget, and do you see this as step one on an upgrade
> path, or do you want to live with this for at least, say, five years?
> This could affect whether you get a balanced system now, or splurge out
> on, say, the speakers.
I don't have a budget set in stone - my brother and I are planning to
share the cost by buying certain components each. However, we're not
rolling in it; hence the budget nature of our initial ideas. But if
spending a little more now will make a significant difference then I'd
like to do it.

I don't want to be continually swapping stuff around, and would like
four or five years of service out of the system.

Many thanks for your help. :)

--
Impeller