Hi, my name is Rob, and I'm an alcho er audiophile.  I played trumpet
for a long time, and for the past year or two have been dabbling in
guitar, but I wouldnt call myself a musician.  I got my start listening
to LPs of Cream or Pink Floyd or Clapton, in a garage with a bunch of
other high schoolers.  Solder smoke mixed with other smoke, wafted
along on air vibrated by the best stereo in town, thanks to my geeky
best friend.  He was always building some Heathkit thing or another.
Later tended equipment and did the mix for a couple of minor recording
bands.  This got me fascinated with how an amp or PA might have a
particular emotional impact and why.  Thats what drives me in audio.  I
think of it as the intersection of the technological with the
psychological.  It lends itself to a sort of endless noble quest.

Once I got out of college and grad school, I finally had enough money
to buy a decent rig: Magnepan II's and Audio Research electronics.
Since then I've owned alot of different things.  In speakers: Klipsch
Cornwalls, Quad 989s, Spendor monitors, Quad ESLs, Martin Logan Sequel
IIs, Carver Amazings, a pair of small Maggies, Advent Large, JSE
"Infinite Slope", Mordaunt-Short monitors.  My current main speakers
are a pair of Vandersteen 5As.  In electronics I have had a variety as
well: Home-built Tripath Digitals, McIntosh both classic and new,
Classe, EAR 859, various Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson.  When I get
back to Montana I will be rotating out McIntosh and putting in
Quicksilver mono-blocks.  Why am I now involved with Slim Devices?  I
think its the future.  Once you use hard-drive based audio its hard not
to think the days of discs are numbered.

My philosophy in audio is probably a bit different.  I have given up
trying to find accuracy or fidelity to live music.  I am just in it for
the emotional high that a great system playing great music can bring.
And over the years, I have come to the conclusion there are many ways
to get there.  In fact, I often have three systems set up.  So when I
get back to Montana, I plan on setting up a couple of other rigs in
addition to the Vandersteen-Quicksilver system that will be fed via
Transporter.  Quad ESLs and a pair of ancient tube monos will be fed by
an SB3 in the bedroom.  In the office I plan on setting up Spendors with
a Tripath digital amp fed from the computer via USB DAC.

As for the objective-subjective debate.  I can remember a time before
"Total Harmonic Distortion" was used and before anyone had heard of
this thing called "jitter".  So I dont think measurements via
instruments are anywhere near close to comprehensively describing audio
reality.  Nor do I think ABX testing is the holy grail.  Its my
experience that it takes time to really hear and appreciate.  I readily
embrace the fact that there is a big psychological, perceptual component
and I'm not sure how you control for all that without destroying what
you are trying to measure.  But, being schooled in the social sciences,
I know there are ways to tease out objective measures for that which is
wholistic and subjective.  If and when that happens, we can all live in
peace, as the subjective and the objective will have been reconciled.

--
atkinsonrr

Transporter, Quicksilver V4 Monos, Vandersteen Model 5A speakers.  SB3,
Quad Tube Pre-Amp, Tube Monos, Quad ESLs.  Homemade Tripath Digital
amps, Carver ALS (original) Speakers with Outboard Crossovers.