Let me preface my comments by saying that I live in the 26th floor of an
apartment block and cannot really play music loud enough to warrant the
system I brought here from the US & have been expanding since.  But I
won't always live here!

I also enjoy video in 5:1 and don't have the luxury of two separate
rooms (or 4 ears).  Thus the pre-amp is an essential part of my system.
Actually a Denon 3805 AVR.  Through the AVR I also drive a sub-woofer
(Velodyne DD15).  The sub's set up routine lets me adjust the response
of the sub and blend it in with the bass of the main speakers (B&W
804s).  The AVR allows the low frequencies, below cut off frequency of
80Hz to be sent to the sub.  Thus the 'receiver' or 'preamp' part of
the AVR deals with the 'speakers' (mains and sub).  How could I do that
with no 'receiver/preamp'?  Sometimes too, it's a nice effect to listen
to 'stereo' in 5:1 surround.  The AVR also has a 'direct stereo' mode
where the artifacts of the 'receiver' are minimized and you get as
close as you can to the Transporter direct to the amp. I recently (it's
Christmas after all) replaced the 'amplifier' of the AVR with a Rotel 5
channel RMB 1095.  Bottom line to me, I need the 'receiver/preamp' part
of the system.  Going direct from Transporter (or SB) to RMB 1095 would
give me no flexibility for movies, remove both my surround sound option
and the Velodyne sub.  Maybe if your system is dedicated for music only,
and you'll never feel you need a sub (need, did I say, I meant want),
then you can forgo the preamp.  But for me it's essential.

Dan

--
chinablues