You are quite right.  Tribalism, really, be it in nature religious,
ethnic, or even interest group-oriented is humanity's greatest ill.
People do shoot other people in the name of religion, economics,
ethnicity, crime, you name it.

However, on a day to day basis, most people are reasonably cordial and
arguments of the kind seen here and elsewhere on the net do not take
place in, say, places of work.  I think it is commonly accepted that,
for reasons including anonymity, the at-times difficulty of
interpreting humor or sarcasm in the coversational nature of email and
posting, and the lure of venting one's aggresion in a "safe" place, the
Internet often brings out very bad qualities in people.

--
lafayette

Sweet Home Alabama